Celebrating 50 years of the laser (Scientific session of the General Meeting of the Physical Sciences Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 13 December 2010)
A scientific session of the general meeting of the Physical Sciences Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the creation of lasers was held in the Conference Hall of the Lebedev Physical Institute, RAS, on 13 December 2010.
The agenda of the session announced on the website www.gpad.ac.ru of the RAS Physical Sciences Division listed the following reports:
The papers written on the basis of reports 2–4, 7, and 8 are published below.
- Matveev V A, Bagaev S N Opening speech;
- Bratman V L, Litvak A G, Suvorov E V (Institute of Applied Physics, RAS, Nizhny Novgorod) “Mastering the terahertz domain: sources and applications”;
- Balykin V I (Institute of Spectroscopy, RAS, Troitsk, Moscow region) “Ultracold atoms and atom optics”;
- Ledentsov N N (Ioffe Physical Technical Institute, RAS, St. Petersburg) “New-generation surface-emitting lasers as the key element of the computer communication era”;
- Krasil’nik Z F (Institute for the Physics of Microstructures, RAS, Nizhny Novgorod) “Lasers for silicon optoelectronics”;
- Shalagin A M (Institute of Automation and Electrometry, Siberian Branch, RAS, Novosibirsk) “High-power diode-pumped alkali metal vapor lasers”;
- Kul’chin Yu N (Institute for Automation and Control Processes, Far Eastern Branch, RAS, Vladivostok) “Photonics of self-organizing biomineral nanostructures”;
- Kolachevsky N N (Lebedev Physical Institute, RAS, Moscow) “Laser cooling of rare-earth atoms and precision measurements.”
Because the paper based on report 6 was received by the Editors late, it will be published in the October issue of Physics—Uspekhi together with the material related to the Scientific Session of the Physical Sciences Division, RAS, of 22 December 2010.