Issues

 / 

2008

 / 

December

  

From the history of physics


The Landau school and the American Institute of Physics translation program


Department of Physics and Laboratory of Atomic and Solid State Physics, Cornell University, 633 Clark Hall, Ithaca, New York, 14853-2501, USA

In the late 1950s and early 1960s several American scientists recognized the importance of results appearing in Russian language journals. Their efforts, aided by ’Cold War’ considerations, culminated in the launch of the AIP program of translations into English of the then Soviet Union’s leading physics journals. The present brief review gives a personal perspective on the history of that development.

Fulltext is available at IOP
PACS: 01.65.+g, 01.60.+q (all)
DOI: 10.1070/PU2008v051n12ABEH006711
URL: https://ufn.ru/en/articles/2008/12/e/
Citation: Ambegaokar V "The Landau school and the American Institute of Physics translation program" Phys. Usp. 51 1287–1290 (2008)
BibTexBibNote ® (generic)BibNote ® (RIS) MedlineRefWorks
PT Journal Article
TI The Landau school and the American Institute of Physics translation program
AU Ambegaokar V
FAU Ambegaokar V
DP 10 Dec, 2008
TA Phys. Usp.
VI 51
IP 12
PG 1287-1290
RX 10.1070/PU2008v051n12ABEH006711
URL https://ufn.ru/en/articles/2008/12/e/
SO Phys. Usp. 2008 Dec 10;51(12):1287-1290

Оригинал: Амбегаокар В «Совместная программа школы Ландау и Американского института физики по переводу научной литературы» УФН 178 1359–1363 (2008); DOI: 10.3367/UFNr.0178.200812h.1359

© 1918–2021 Uspekhi Fizicheskikh Nauk
Email: ufn@ufn.ru Editorial office contacts About the journal Terms and conditions